Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Snowflower and the Secret Fan


I have had Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See on my "to read" list forever, and saw the library owns it on audio through Overdrive, so I thought that was a better way for me to catch up on my reading list. I really enjoyed this book, especially because it focused on so many cultural and historical practices of China. I had never studied in depth any of these like foot binding, and arranged marriages, but See was able to make the facts and stories so interesting that it was a very quick listen. I really felt drawn to the characters with the unbelievable trials they went through as the novel described two friends over many decades of their lives. The traditions and the pain and joy they went through seemed so real. I also thought it was a great book to listen to because it was such good storytelling.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Did you like it enough to want to read Lisa See's newest book, Peony in Love?

Eliza said...

I actually have the Advanced Reader's Copy of Peony in Love at home.