Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

So, I love to read classics every now and then and have never read Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles. One day Seth and I happened to turn to PBS and were caught up in the middle of this awesome Masterpiece Theater movie. And I had to figure out what it was. As soon as I found out it was a book I had to turn it off. When I tried to read the book though, I had so much going on I couldn't get into it. BUT! Our great Overdrive audio books has had some books added it looks like and there it was.

I honestly really loved this book. It was one of the few that I purposely did more cleaning just so I had an excuse to listen to. It was narrated by Ralph Cosham and I really enjoyed his voice and storytelling. He also has narrated Four Feathers which looks like it was recently added to Overdrive too!

The story seems modern enough to have kept my interest, and Tess through all her hardships was easy to relate to, and feel bad for. I spent the entire story rooting for her and hoping she gets what she wants. The end was so unexpected from other stories involving a loving couple, and was not the sort of happy eneding you may find in books written at this time period. Hardy's moral conclusion was actually what should have happened, even though it left me wanting more of the story!

No comments: