Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Adventures of Slim and Howdy



The Adventures of Slim and Howdy
by Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn

A couple of Tuesdays ago, I was out browsing the stacks before I started work and happened to find this book sitting on the shelves of the Green Valley Library. I had just recently given up on Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony (good series up to this book, written by Eoin Colfer... still recommend it, but just to warn you that it gets a bit sleepy there.) and several books that I had on hold were either on their way over or I was on the waiting list for them.

Being a country music fan, I was immediately interested to see that Brooks and Dunn of "My Maria", "Only in America", and "Play Something Country" fame had put together a book. I'd been to one of their concerts when I was younger and enjoyed them and they're not too bad when it comes to writing a book either!

The book is the story of two cowboys who run into each other and decide to hit the road. They both happen to be singers, so they go to a few bars and perform nightly. One of the bars' owners is a friend of both of theirs gets kidnapped and the fun continues from there. I actually found the climax of the book to be a bit of a bore and prefered the chemistry that went on between the Slim and Howdy characters (Slim is Ronnie and Howdy is Kix).

All in all, not a bad read, but not something I'd nominate for book of the year. Plus, there's a music disc in the back with a pretty good song! Just as long as they keep to their day jobs, they'll be fine...

No comments: