Thursday, July 09, 2009

Hannah's Dream



I don't know if everyone knows this about me, but I absolutely love elephants. So my coworkers have the habit of pulling gnay donated or advanced reader books that say anything about elephants or have them on the cover. I got this book last summer I think and have yet to read it. Last weekend I picked it up and finished it in three days!

Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond was not only about a sweet, loving, and solo elephant in a zoo, but all the family she gains in human form. The elephant, Hannah has spent most of her life with Sam, her keeper and as his health declines from diabetes he worries about what will happen to her. She is a little worried herself about things around her and being left in the barn alone at night. So Sam and his wife do everything they can to show their love for Hannah. There are a few side stories in Hannah's Dream that explain why Sam loves the elephant so much and why others do too.

The characters are great in this book, and of course there are some that may get on your nerves at first, but everyone has two sides. When Sam decides Hannah needs a home where she can stay out all the time and other elephants can keep her company, his friends get together a plan to transport her away from the Seattle Zoo to a sanctuary in California. I won't say more, because it has a great ending. It was a touching story, and a quick read, so I really recommend it if you like animal books. Or elephants!

No comments: